Problem: COGO attributes are lost when features are rotated in ArcMap
In some cases, to correctly enter ground measurement direction data from a survey plan or other document to ArcGIS, the data must be rotated to move the features into place. Rotating feature data using the Rotate tool from the Editor toolbar performs the operation, but clears the coordinate geometry (COGO) attributes.
This is a known software limitation. Feature templates with COGO fields hide the fields when creating or modifying features to prevent the new features from assuming the default attributes. This issue can be solved by navigating to the Advanced ArcMap Settings Utility, Advanced Editing tab, and changing the 'Clear COGO attributes when the feature geometry is modified' setting.
Solution or Workaround
- Close any active ArcMap or ArcCatalog windows.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.x\Utilities\ and open the file 'ArcMap Advanced Settings Utility.exe'.
- Click the Advanced Editing tab.
- Uncheck the 'Clear COGO attributes when the feature geometry is modified' check box.
- Click Apply and Close.
- ArcMap Help: About COGO and feature templates
- ArcMap Help: An overview of COGO
- ArcMap Help: Common COGO workflows
- ArcMap Help: Rotating a feature