Problem: Changes are not made to updated versions of an add-in installed in ArcMap
When changes are made to an add-in, and the new version of the add-in is installed in ArcMap, the new version is displayed in the Add-In Manager. However, the changes might not get updated in the dynamic link libraries (DLLs) located in the AssemblyCache folder, and the previous version of the add-in might remain.
Add-ins automatically unpack the install folder's contents to a temporary folder called AssemblyCache. This issue occurs because the AssemblyCache folder does not recognize the updated version of the add-in, and the previous version of the add-in remains cached in the AssemblyCache folder, located at:
Note: The AppData folder is hidden and the AssemblyCache folder is hidden and protected by default in Windows Explorer.
Solution or Workaround
Follow the steps below to resolve this issue.
- Delete the older version of the add-in using the Add-In Manager.
- In ArcMap, go to Customize > Add-In Manager.
- Select the add-in.
- Click the Delete this Add-In button.
Note: The add-in can also be deleted directly from the add-in folder, located at: C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\ArcGIS\AddIns\Desktop10.x\
- Close the current ArcMap session, and start a new ArcMap session.
- Close the ArcMap session again. When this step completes, the previous version of the add-in is deleted from the AssemblyCache folder, and the updated add-in is reflected in ArcMap.
- ArcGIS Help 10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2: Sharing and installing add-ins
- Unable to remove an add-in folder path from the Add-in Manager in ArcMap