Problem: Coded value domain descriptions are not maintained after exporting data
When exporting the table of a feature class with coded value domain descriptions in ArcMap, the coded value is displayed instead of the descriptions.
This is a known limitation. ArcGIS, by default, exports domain codes instead of domain descriptions.
Solution or Workaround
Select one of the solutions shown below. Option A allows the particular table to display the coded value domain descriptions, whereas Option B allows all tables exported to display the coded value domain descriptions. Option C can be used to display both coded domain values and descriptions.
- Open the exported table.
- Click Table Options > Appearance.
- Check the Display coded value domain and subtype descriptions check box.
The coded value domain descriptions are displayed.
Change the Environment settings, and use the Table to Table tool.
- Click the Geoprocessing menu > Environments. This opens the Environment Settings window.
- Click Fields, and check the Transfer field domain descriptions check box. Click OK.
- Navigate to Conversion Tools in the Catalog window > To Geodatabase > Table to Table.
- Select a table as the input, and specify the output location and the name of the output table. Click OK.
- Use the Domain to Table tool to export the domain and domain descriptions.
- Join the table to the source feature class.
- Export the joined table to a shapefile.
Note: Option C adds a new field for domain descriptions. For more information on exporting a feature class to a shapefile containing domain descriptions instead of domain codes, refer to the following article, HowTo: Export a feature class to a shapefile that contains domain descriptions instead of domain codes.
- An overview of the Domains toolset
- Domain to Table tool
- ArcGIS Help: Creating a new coded value domain
- HowTo: Display coded value domains and subtype codes instead of descriptions
- HowTo: Export a table to include domain descriptions and coded values
- Problem: Exporting a feature service with domains to a CSV file shows coded values instead of descriptions