How To: Split a parcel along a line feature outside of the parcel fabric
Splitting a parcel along a line feature outside of the parcel can be done by tracing the features accordingly as the splitting medium.
Tracing features that are not part of the parcel is not possible in ArcGIS versions prior to 10.3. Below is the workflow used in 10.1 and 10.2.x to get the same result.
Instructions provided describe how to split a parcel along a line feature outside of the parcel fabric:
- Start ArcMap and select the parcel to be split.
- Right-click the layer in the table of contents and click Data > Export Data.
- Start an edit session on the new feature class; right-click the polygon > Edit Features > Start Editing.
- Select the desired part of the polygon to be split using the Edit Tool.
- Click the Cut Polygons Tool.
- Trace the desired line for splitting the polygon. Double-click at the end of the line segment to finish the line sketch.
- Save the edits.
- Convert the polygon to a series of polylines using the Polygon To Line tool.
- Start an edit session on the parcel layer.
- Click the Parcel Editor drop-down arrow > Plan Directory.
- Create a new plan. Click Create Plan > Specify the name and click OK.
- Right-click the plan > Construction.
- Select the newly created lines > right-click the selection > Copy.
- Right-click on an empty area of the Construction grid > Paste. The Paste window displays, click OK.
- Ensure the template is set to Parcels, click the Build Parcel drop-down arrow > Build and mark Historic. The newly split parcel is created, and is marked as historic.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000012570
Software: ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1