How To: Remove black or white borders from rasters in a mosaic dataset
Satellite imagery sometimes comes with black or white borders. Instructions provided below describe how to remove these borders in a mosaic dataset.
The following workflow is applicable to rasters where the border pixels have a numeric value rather than a NoData value. To see the value of the pixels, use the Identify tool and click in the border area. Borders that have NoData values can be made transparent in the symbology of the mosaic data set (see: NoData in raster datasets)
- In the Catalog pane, right-click the mosaic dataset > Modify > Build Footprints.
- In the Build Footprints tool, leave the Query Definition blank and select Radiometry under Computation Method.
- Change the Minimum and Maximum Data Value settings so that they exclude the border values. For example, if there are black borders with pixel values of 1, change the Minimum Data Value to 2; if there are white borders with pixel values of 255, change the Maximum Data Value to 254.
- Leave the rest of the settings at the default and click OK.
- Right-click the mosaic dataset in Catalog > Optimize > Build Overviews. Leave the defaults and click OK.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000012496