Problem: Login window for ArcGIS Online spins but never loads
Note: Esri Maps for Office was renamed to ArcGIS Maps for Office at Version 4.0 (March 2016). As a result, the names of some user interface elements have changed.
After launching Excel and selecting the ArcGIS Maps tab, clicking on the option to sign in to ArcGIS displays a spinning icon, and the login window fails to load.
Esri Maps for Office was automatically upgraded from 2.1.5 to version 3.0.
Solution or Workaround
There are two ways to resolve this issue. One option is to change the ArcGIS Connection to the default ArcGIS Online default URL path. The other option is to add the ArcGIS Online Organization site to Internet Explorer's trusted sites list.
Change the ArcGIS Connection
- Launch Excel.
- Go to Files > Esri Maps.
- Change ArcGIS Connection to:
- Restart Excel.
- Go to the ArcGIS Maps tab and sign in to ArcGIS.
Add ArcGIS Online Organization URL to Internet Explorer's list of trusted sites
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Go to Tools > Internet Options.
- Go to the Security tab and click Trusted sites.
- Click the Sites button.
- Add the ArcGIS Online Organization URL to the list of trusted websites.
- Go to the ArcGIS Maps tab in Excel and click the Sign In button.
- ArcGIS Maps for Office Help: Add a quick map