Error: The spatial reference z values do not match
In some instances, when users attempt to import a feature class to a feature dataset, the following error occurs:
"The spatial reference z values do not match."
The error occurs if the vertical (z) coordinate system for the feature class does not match the vertical coordinate system of the feature dataset.
Solution or Workaround
To solve the issue, follow the steps below.
- Export the features to a stand-alone feature class. Refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help topic: Exporting features.
- Use the Project tool to apply a new coordinate system to the feature class to match the coordinate system of the feature dataset. Refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help topic: Project (Data Management).
- Open the properties of the newly projected feature class, and apply the vertical (z) coordinate system (same as the feature dataset) to the data.
- Drag and drop the feature class into the feature dataset.
- ArcGIS Web Help: The properties of a spatial reference
- ArcGIS Web Help: An overview of the Projections and Transformations toolset