Error: The group of selected parcels are not contiguous
When editing parcels in ArcMap using the Construct From Parent command, the following error message is displayed:
The group of selected parcels are not contiguous
The error occurs due to one of the following reasons:
- The parcels are connected by only line points but not technically connected by a network point (parcel point). The parcels are not considered contiguous because the points of both parcels are not intersected with each other.
- The file geodatabase or the feature dataset is corrupt.
Solution or Workaround
Include an additional parcel that shares a parcel point with both parcels to be used in the Construct From Parent. Make the lines of this additional parcel unbuildable where they are not needed.
Unjoin and rejoin the parcel to the parcel fabric if the parcel points of the parcels should intersect. Rejoining re-establishes the connection between the parcels to insure the parcels do match and are contiguous.
For more information on unjoining and rejoining parcels, refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help topic: Unjoining and rejoining parcels.
Create a new parcel traverse overlaying the selected parcels.
- Click Start Editing in the Parcel Editor toolbar.
- Click New Parcel.
- Construct a new parcel by snapping to the existing parcel points to draw a similar shaped parcel.
- Click Keep And Join in the Parcel Details window.
- After the parcel is joined, make sure the COGO descriptions of the lines for the new parcel matches that of the original parcels that were to be used to construct this parcel or the plat to insure the dimensions are what is needed to be stored.
Note: Use this option if the fabric is considered to be corrupt.Copy and paste the existing parcel fabric to a new feature dataset.
- Create a new file geodatabase.
- Create a new feature dataset.
- Copy and paste the existing parcel fabric to the new feature dataset.
- ArcGIS Help: What is a parcel fabric?
- ArcGIS Help: About the parcel fabric layer
- ArcGIS Help: Constructing new parcels from existing parcels
- ArcGIS Help: Splitting parcels using construction lines
Last Published: 11/16/2016
Article ID: 000012428
Software: ArcMap 10.1