Problem: Unable to edit a feature class added to a versioned feature dataset
Editing a feature class added to a previously editable versioned feature dataset is not possible.
This occurs when the feature class added to the feature dataset is not versioned, although the other feature classes in the feature dataset are. The feature dataset’s properties become similar to an unversioned dataset after the unversioned feature class is added. This does not allow editing on any of the feature classes in the existing feature dataset.
In some cases, the following error is returned:
"No data sources in the map are registered as versioned or you lack privileges to modify data sources which are registered as versioned."
The new feature class is not registered as versioned, even when the feature class is added to a versioned feature dataset, to allow loading of new data to the new feature class before versioning is carried out. The process is to improve data loading performance.
Solution or Workaround
- Unregister the feature dataset as versioned, and add the new feature class. Use the instructions listed in the following ArcGIS Help document: Unregistering data as versioned.
- Add the new feature class.
- Register the feature dataset as versioned. Use the instructions listed in the following ArcGIS Help document: Registering data as versioned.
- ArcGIS Help: A quick tour of registering and unregistering data as versioned
- ArcGIS Help: Version scenarios