FAQ: Is it possible to directly georeference a PDF file in ArcMap?
Is it possible to directly georeference a PDF file in ArcMap?
No, it is not possible to georeference a PDF file directly in ArcMap. ArcGIS does not support PDF as an input format. The PDF file must be converted to a supported raster format, such as JPEG or TIFF, and be added to ArcMap before georeferencing.
Converting the PDF file to a supported raster format can either be done by:
- Scanning the PDF document.
- Taking a screenshot of the PDF file.
- Using an online conversion tool.
- Using the 'PDF to TIFF' tool.
Note: In earlier versions of ArcGIS, the 'PDF to TIFF' tool is only available with the Production Mapping extension. In ArcGIS 10.3, the tool is located under Conversion Tools > From PDF.
- ArcGIS Resources: Fundamentals of georeferencing a raster dataset
- ArcGIS Resources: List of supported raster and image data formats
- Technical Article: How to georeference an image to align with other data
- ArcGIS Help: PDF To TIFF