FAQ: Is it possible to directly georeference a PDF file in ArcMap?
Is it possible to directly georeference a PDF file in ArcMap?
No, it is not possible to georeference a PDF file directly in ArcMap. This is mainly because ArcGIS does not support PDF as an input format. The PDF file must be converted to a supported raster format, such as JPEG or TIFF, and be added to ArcMap before georeferencing.
Converting the PDF file to a supported raster format can either be done by:
• Scanning the PDF document.
• Taking a screenshot of the PDF file.
• Using an online conversion tool.
• Using the 'PDF to TIFF' tool.
In earlier versions of ArcGIS, the 'PDF to TIFF' tool is only available with the Production Mapping extension. In ArcGIS 10.3, the tool is located under Conversion Tools > From PDF.
- ArcGIS Resources: Fundamentals of georeferencing a raster dataset
- ArcGIS Resources: List of supported raster and image data formats
- Technical Article: How to georeference an image to align with other data
- ArcGIS Help: PDF To TIFF