Problem: Map document takes a long time to open after moving to a new ArcSDE Server database connection
A map document takes longer to open after an ArcSDE connection transition.
This issue occurs when the map document contains previously removed or re-routed ArcSDE connection information. Although the layers were removed or re-routed, references to the previous ArcSDE connection are still stored within the map document. This causes the files to continue to search for the non-existent old connection, which in turn affects the time taken to open the map document.
Solution or Workaround
Create a new map document.
1. Create a new map document in ArcMap.
2. Copy all the layers from the old map document to the new map document.
Edit the hosts file.
1. Navigate to the following folder:
2. Open the hosts file using a text editor (such as Notepad).
3. At the bottom of the hosts file, add the following new entry:
4. Press Enter to insert a blank line at the end of the file.
5. Save changes made to the hosts file.