Error: Provide your license server administrator with the following information: Error Code = -15
Updating the License Manager to version 10.3 may lead to the following error message when opening ArcMap:
Cannot connect to license server system.
The license server manager (lmgrd) has not been started yet, the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the port or hostname in the license file has been changed."
With ArcGIS License Manager 10.3, a specific port in the range 27000-27009 must be specified for the lmgrd daemon as a requirement for configuring it for use with a portal. The service.txt file found in the install directory (..\Program Files\ArcGIS\License10.3\bin by default) now includes the port 27000 by default after installing ArcGIS License Manager.
If ArcGIS License Manager 10.3 was installed as an upgrade from an earlier version (for example, ArcGIS License Manager 10.2.2) and a port, such as 27004, was already specified in the earlier installation, this port may not be carried over into the new installation.
In this case, the port must be manually re-entered into the service.txt file. The lmgrd daemon port is communicated to the portal as part of the exported portal configuration *.json file.
Solution or Workaround
If License Manager was locked to a specific port other than 27000, the ArcGIS Administrator (such as ArcMap) is no longer able to obtain a license from the License Manager. The following steps outline the process required to reestablish this connection for a 64 bit machine. File locations for 32-bit machines or installations other than default may have different file locations.
- Open ArcGIS Administrator and open the 'Desktop' folder.
- In the right-hand panel, find 'License Manager (for Concurrent Use software products):'
- Note the port number listed in the box to the left of the 'Change' button.
This should be between 27000-27009.
- Using a text editor (such as Notepad), open the following file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\License10.3\bin\service.txt
For 32-bit machines this file is located at:
- The first two lines of the file look similar to this:
SERVER this_host ANY 27000
- Modify the first line to reflect the port number noted in Step 3.
For example, if the port noted was 27004:
SERVER this_host ANY 27004
Save the modified file, and restart License Manager using the Stop, Start, and Reread buttons respectively.
- Close and reopen ArcGIS Administrator, and verify that the licenses are now available.