Error: Failed to enable archiving. Invalid column data type.
When users attempt to archive non-versioned data, the following error message is encountered:
“Failed to enable archiving. Invalid column data type.”
This error occurs if:
• In SQL Server, SDEBINARY is specified as the GEOMETRY_STORAGE type when feature classes are created.
• In Oracle, SDELOB is specified as the GEOMETRY_STORAGE type when feature classes are created.
Feature classes created with SDEBINARY or SDELOB as the geometry storage type are not supported for non-versioned archiving.
Solution or Workaround
Register the data as versioned.
To archive non-versioned data, use the Migrate Storage geoprocessing tool to migrate the data to a supported geometry storage type.
• In Oracle, migrate the data to SDO_GEOMETRY or ST_GEOMETRY.
• In SQL Server, migrate the data to GEOMETRY or GEOGRAPHY.
- ArcGIS Help: Enabling archiving
- ArcGIS Help: Types of configuration keywords
- ArcGIS Help: Default configuration keywords specific to SQL Server
- ArcGIS Help: Default configuration keywords specific to Oracle
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000012255