FAQ: Does the ArcGIS platform support the SAP HANA database?
Does the ArcGIS platform support the SAP HANA database?
Yes, support for SAP HANA was added for the ArcGIS Platform for database access and publishing data via map/feature services. Database access allows ArcGIS clients to establish a database connection to SAP HANA after the SAP HANA client ODBC driver is installed and configured. This connection can be used to view/query spatial data from SAP HANA databases and perform analysis. This data can then be shared using services for viewing and/or editing.
A summary of the SAP HANA functionality added for specific releases of ArcGIS is as follows:
- ArcGIS 10.3 - Database access and publishing via map services
- ArcGIS 10.3.1 - Added feature service support
- ArcGIS Pro 1.2 - Database access and publishing via map/feature services
- ArcGIS 10.6 - Support for enterprise geodatabase and includes Utility Network Management extension
- ArcGIS Pro 2.1 - Support for enterprise geodatabase and utility network
- ArcGIS Pro 2.2 - Raster support added for HANA geodatabases
Refer to the core ArcGIS documentation in the Related Information section for more information on database access and publishing from SAP HANA databases.
Geodatabase Support for SAP HANA
The ArcGIS Pro 2.1 release supports SAP HANA as an enterprise geodatabase. SAP HANA geodatabases support advanced platform capabilities and follow a web GIS model. The utility network is supported in HANA geodatabases by using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 with the Utility Network Management extension.
In ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6, enabling SAP HANA as a geodatabase enables enterprise geodatabase functionality and advanced platform capabilities, such as:
- relationship classes
- editor tracking
- non-versioned archiving
- offline editing with sync capabilities
- branch versioning (new service based long transaction model for editing)
- utility network
ArcGIS Pro 2.2 added raster support for SAP HANA geodatabases.
Some ArcGIS platform capabilities such as topology, parcel fabrics, and editing network datasets are planned for future releases. As these capabilities are supported with branch versioning and available in ArcGIS Pro, they are planned to be made available for SAP HANA geodatabases.
Support for SAP HANA databases using ArcMap/ArcCatalog clients is limited to database access. Once the SAP HANA database is enabled as a geodatabase, making database connections is unavailable for ArcMap/ArcCatalog clients.
Note: According to the Supported Environment Policy, an environment is supported when the environment meets or exceeds the base build environment and is known to not fail. Environments that are known to not work are documented on the product support page as soon as information is available.
- ArcGIS Help: SAP HANA database requirements
- ArcGIS Help: SAP HANA and ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Help: Connect to SAP HANA from ArcGIS
- Esri Blogs: The Spatially Enabled Enterprise
- Esri Support: Supported Environment Policy
- ESRI Query Layer integration with SAP HANA
Last Published: 7/20/2018
Article ID: 000012246
Software: ArcMap 10.5.1, 10.5