Problem: A generic error is returned when running the Pivot Table tool
The Pivot Table (Data Management) tool creates an Output Table from an Input Table by reducing redundant records and flattening one-to-many relationships. In some instances, using the tool fails and returns a generic error, “Error 999999: Error executing function.”
This error is caused by the presence of NULL values in the field used for the pivot field.
Solution or Workaround
Remove the NULL values or replace them with other values, such as zero.
If background processing is turned on, the error message, "Error 001143: Background server threw an exception" may be returned. This is also caused by NULL values in the pivot field, and the NULL values must be removed or replaced.
- ArcGIS Help: 999999 : Error executing function.
- ArcGIS Help: Pivot Table (Data Management)
- FAQ: How to check for null values in the Field Calculator using Python
- HowTo: Automate setting null values to zero
- HowTo: Replace one value for another within a field
- HowTo: Convert NoData values to other values for raster data