Problem: Snapping does not function while editing data in ArcMap
While editing, the snapping commands fail to function as expected. Features cannot be connected because the pointer does not snap to edges and vertices in the map document.
This issue may be caused by one of the following:
- Snapping option is disabled
- The current editing session is not active
- Map document is displayed in layout view
Layout view is used when creating a map. It is recommended to perform edits when the map is displayed in data view. The ability to snap is not possible in layout view as the command cannot interact with the data.
- Data or map document is corrupted
If either the data or document is corrupted, it is not possible to make changes to the map.
- Snapping tolerance not set correctly
The pointer automatically snaps to a vertex or edge if the distance of the pointer from a feature is within the snapping tolerance. If the tolerance is set too low – such as 0 – snapping does not occur.
Solution or Workaround
Follow the steps provided below to resolve this issue.
- Ensure the Use Snapping setting is enabled. For more information, please refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help Topic: Enabling snapping.
- Ensure the map document is displayed in data view. For more information, please refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help Topic:Displaying maps in data view and layout view.
Option A: Restart the editing session
- Close the current editing session, if a session is open.
- Begin a new editing session. To do this, please refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help Topic: Starting an edit session (Start Editing).
Option B: Export the data to a new blank map document
- Create a new blank template in ArcMap.
- Use either the Export Data or Add Data command. For more information on these commands, please refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help Topics: Exporting selected features with the Export Data command and Adding layers to a map.
Warning: Do not copy and paste, or drag and drop the data from one file to another as this may carry over any data or file corruption.
Option C: Set the snapping tolerance to a higher pixelTo do this, please refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help Topic: Setting the snapping tolerance.
Note: Ensure the End Snap button is highlighted on the Snapping toolbar.
Last Published: 4/20/2018
Article ID: 000012235
Software: ArcMap 10.1