Problem: Hosted tiled map services do not publish as expected in ArcGIS Online
Hosted tiled map services enable fast display of large datasets and provide geographic context for operational layers in the web environment. A tiled map service can be published directly to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap or published from within ArcGIS Online using a tile package (.tpk) created in ArcMap.
In some instances, when publishing the tile package from ArcMap, an incomplete tiled map service is published. In other cases, the shared tiled map service is published but does not display in ArcGIS Online.
When publishing the tiled map service, the data frame extent of the map document is set to Custom Extent. This setting clips the edge of the tiles, leaving a blank area.
Solution or Workaround
In the Data Frame Properties window, change the data frame extent of the map document to 'Extent of data in all layers (Default)' before creating a tiled map service. To do this in ArcMap, follow the steps provided below:
- In the Table Of Contents, right-click the data frame name.
- Click Properties to open the Data Frame Properties window.
- Click the Data Frame tab.
- Under the Extent Used By Full Extend Command section, select 'Extent of data in all layers (Default)'.
- Publish the tiled map service to ArcGIS Online. To do this, refer to the following ArcGIS Help document, Publish tiles.
- ArcGIS Help: Hosted tiled map services
- Blog: Workflows for building and hosting cached map tiles in ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Help: Publishing a hosted tiled map service to Portal for ArcGIS using an ArcMap document
- ArcGIS Help: About tile packages
- ArcGIS Help: How to create a tile package