Problem: Buttons in the Symbol Selector dialog box are overlapping
The Symbol Selector dialog box displays a palette of symbols and basic symbol properties that allow users to create new symbols or make changes to existing symbols in a map in ArcMap. If the buttons in Symbol Selector overlap, users cannot click the buttons to proceed with editing, resetting, or saving the settings.
The overlapping of buttons may be caused by one of the following:
• Resized Symbol Selector dialog box
• Corrupted Symbol Selector dialog box
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the following workarounds to resolve this issue.
Note: Close all Esri applications running in the system before proceeding to the options below.
Option A: Resize the Windows font size
To resize the text display, please refer to the following Windows Help document:
Make the text on your screen larger or smaller.
Option B: Rename the ESRI folders in the User Profile
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
1. Navigate to the following folder path and rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD:
Note: Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' if unable to locate the application data folder.
2. Navigate to the following registry key and rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ESRI
3. Reboot the machine and relaunch ArcMap.
- ArcGIS Help - About creating new symbols
- ArcGIS Help - A quick tour of symbols and styles
- Windows Help - Show hidden files