How To: Add a field to an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service
The ability to add fields in ArcGIS Online hosted feature services is useful when there is a need to include additional data to published data.
Note: The ability to add fields is only available for hosted feature layers. Feature layers that are not hosted do not have the Add Field option in the attribute table, and have no Data tab to add or alter data.
To add a field to an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service, use one of the methods described.
Note: Only the owner of a hosted feature layer, or an administrator of the organization is able to make changes to the attribute schema.
From the attribute table in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer Classic
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online and open the desired feature service in Map Viewer.
- In the Content pane, navigate to the desired layer, and click the Show Table icon.
- In the attribute table, click the Options icon, and click Add Field.
- Configure the Add Field dialog box, and click ADD NEW FIELD. A new field is added to the hosted feature service.
- Save the project.
Note: To add or edit values in the newly created field, navigate to the hosted feature layer's item details page, and click the Data tab > Field. Double-click the desired field attributes and make the necessary edits.
From the Table view of the Data tab
- Open the item details page of the desired project, and click the Data tab.
- Select the Table view, and click the Options icon.
- Select Add Field.
- Configure the Add Field dialog box, and click Add New Field. A new field is added to the hosted feature service.
From the Fields view of the Data tab
- Open the item details page of the desired project, and select the Data tab.
- Select the Fields view, and click Add.
- Configure the Add Field dialog box and click Add New Field. A new field is added to the hosted feature service.
- ArcGIS Online: Add or delete a field
- ArcGIS Online: Attribute field management
- ArcGIS Online: Show tables
- ArcGIS Online: Hosted layers
- ArcGIS Online: Publish hosted feature layers
Last Published: 3/2/2022
Article ID: 000012167
Software: ArcGIS Online Current