Problem: The Batch Project tool, Project tool, or Project Raster tool fails on a feature class or a raster dataset
Projection geoprocessing tools such as the Batch Project tool, the Project tool, or the Project Raster tool fail to execute correctly. In some instances, the projection tools may result in the following error, "Undefined coordinate system for input dataset."
The issue occurs if the input datasets have an undefined or unknown coordinate system. Hence, the tools are unable to read the data. The tools change the coordinate system of one or a set of spatial data like shapefiles, feature classes or raster datasets to a common coordinate system, but the input dataset must first have their coordinate system defined using the Define Projection tool before they can be used within any of the Project tools.
Solution or Workaround
- Navigate to ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Projections and Transformations > Define Projection.
- Define the projection of the input dataset using the Define Projections tool.
- Use the Project tool, or Project Raster tool, or Batch Project tool based on the input dataset to project data into another coordinate system.
- ArcGIS Help: Batch Project (Data Management)
- ArcGIS Help: Define Projection (Data Management)
- ArcGIS Help: Project Raster (Data Management)
- ArcGIS Help: Project (Data Management)