Problem: Conflict with ArcGIS License Manager 10.x and Autodesk Network License Manager 2014
Installing both ArcGIS License Manager 10.x and Autodesk License Manager 2014 on the same machine causes a conflict in which the ArcGIS License Manager service stops, and is unable to be restarted via the ArcGIS License Server Administrator.
Note: The ArcGIS License service can be restarted using Windows Services. However, the issue reoccurs once the machine is restarted.
ArcGIS and Autodesk use different versions of Flexera FlexNet Publisher to manage the licenses. By default, ArcGIS License Manager is a 32-bit application; Autodesk License Manager is a 64-bit application. However, ArcGIS and Autodesk are compatible with each other as both deploy the License Manager service/daemon (lmgrd.exe).
The issue occurs due to a conflict between the different versions of the license manager deployed on the same machine.
Solution or Workaround
To resolve the issue, follow the steps outlined below.
Run the 32-bit version of Autodesk Network License Manager.
- Uninstall the 64-bit version of Autodesk Network License Manager.
- Download and install the 32-bit version of Autodesk Network License Manager. If the issue persists, continue with the next steps.
Both the ArcGIS License Manager and Autodesk Network License Manager are displayed in the LMTOOLS Server List, indicating the license managers are able to run side by side without conflict.
Note: If using custom ports for each vendor, ensure that each vendor daemon runs on its own port. The ArcGIS License Manager uses two vendor daemons, lmgrd.exe (Flexera) and ArcGIS.exe (Esri). By default, the lmgrd.exe vendor daemon runs on port 27000. The ArcGIS vendor daemon runs on any open port. It can be configured to use a static port. Esri recommends any open port between 27000-27009.
Follow the example below to bind the ArcGIS vendor daemon to a static port:
Modify the Service.txt file.
- Navigate to the following directory and open service.txt.
- By default, the contents of the file are as below:
SERVER this_host ANY VENDOR ARCGIS FEATURE ACT ARCGIS 1 permanent 1 7ED49106D630
- To bind the ArcGIS vendor daemon to a specific port, add "port = 1234" to the VENDOR line where "1234" is any open port from 27001-27009.
SERVER this_host ANY VENDOR ARCGIS PORT=1234 FEATURE ACT ARCGIS 1 permanent 1 7ED49106D630
- Save the service.txt file.
- Restart ArcGIS License Manager.
- Autodesk Knowledge Network: Latest version of the Autodesk Network License Manager
- Autodesk Knowledge Network: How to Install the Network License Manager