Problem: Unable to upgrade an ArcGIS for Server standard license to an advanced license
After upgrading an ArcGIS for Server standard license to an advanced license and authorizing it, the license is not updated on the ArcGIS Server Manager Site tab.
This issue occurs when ArcGIS for Server reads the old license key entry in its keycodes file. When a new license is added, the new license key is appended to the end of the keycodes file. However, in this case, ArcGIS for Server reads the standard license key instead of the advanced license key, and uses the standard license to start the server.
Solution or Workaround
Rename the keycodes file and restart the ArcGIS Server service.
- Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and right-click the ArcGIS Server service to stop the service.
- Go to (C:)\Program Files\ESRI\License10.x\sysgen, and rename the keycodes file to keycodes_OLD.
- Run the Software Authorization wizard with the new license number. This creates a new keycodes file.
- Restart the ArcGIS Server service.
This process does not affect any data on the server. ArcGIS for Server only reads the new keycodes file when it starts the service to determine what licenses the services must run with.
- Problem: Unable to authorize an ArcGIS for Server 10.2 permanent license when upgrading from a trial license
- ArcGIS Help: Authorizing ArcGIS for Server
- Index: Authorizing, deauthorizing, and upgrading with ArcGIS License Manager