When authorizing ArcGIS for Desktop online, the Authorization Wizard fails with the following error:
"Unable to prepare your authorization."
The error may be caused by any of the following:
• The Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol connections are blocked by the antivirus or firewall, preventing connections to the ArcGIS License Server.
• The FlexNet Licensing Service has been disabled or stopped, preventing the FlexNet Publisher licensing module from functioning.
• There may have been corrupted files or registry keys in the installation of ArcGIS for Desktop that cause unexpected behavior in the software.
Solution or Workaround
Perform the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the error.
Solution A: Disable the antivirus and firewall software.
1. Disable the antivirus and firewall software installed on the machine.
2. Launch the Authorization Wizard to authorize ArcGIS for Desktop.
If the error still occurs, proceed to Solution B.
Note: Leave the antivirus and firewall software disabled when performing the following troubleshooting steps. Remember to enable the antivirus and firewall software once the authorization is successful.
Solution B: Check the Startup Type of the FlexNet Licensing Service.
1. Navigate to Windows Services from the Desktop by clicking Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
2. Locate the 'FlexNet Licensing Service'. If the Startup Type is not 'Manual' proceed to Step 3, however if the Startup Type is set to 'Manual' proceed to Solution C.
3. Select and double-click the FlexNet Licensing Service.
4. Change the Startup Type of the service to 'Manual'.
5. Click OK and close the Services console.
6. Launch the ArcGIS Authorization wizard again to authorize ArcGIS for Desktop.
If the error still occurs, proceed to Solution C.
Solution C: Repair ArcGIS for Desktop.
1. Launch the ArcGIS for Desktop Installer by double-clicking the Setup.exe file in the ArcGIS installation folder.
Note: Alternatively, the ArcGIS for Desktop Installer can be launched from Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel by selecting and double-clicking ArcGIS for Desktop from the program list.
2. Select the Repair option, and click Next. Click OK on the following window.
3. Once the repair has been completed, run the Authorization Wizard once again to authorize ArcGIS for Desktop.
If the error still occurs, proceed to Solution D.
Solution D: Perform a complete uninstall and reinstallation of ArcGIS for Desktop.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
1. Uninstall ArcGIS for Desktop via the uninstaller.
2. Navigate to the C:\Program Files\ folder and rename the 'ArcGIS' folder to 'ArcGIS_old'.
3. Navigate to the following folders and rename the 'ArcGIS' folder to 'ArcGIS_old'. If there is an 'ESRI' folder, rename it to 'ESRI_old'.