Problem: The Change button in ArcGIS Administrator is disabled
Under the Desktop folder in ArcGIS Administrator, the Change button to access ArcGIS License Manager is disabled.
Note: In ArcGIS 9.3.x or earlier, ArcGIS Administrator is known as Desktop Administrator.
The issue occurs when users do not have administrative privileges, or when there is a missing or corrupted .dll file.
Solution or Workaround
Perform any of the following workarounds to resolve the issue:
Run ArcGIS Administrator with administrator permissions
- Click Windows Start Menu > All Programs > ArcGIS.
- Right-click ArcGIS Administrator, and select Run as administrator.
Change the Product and License level via batch file
- Launch Notepad.
- Enter the following in Notepad:
set Esri_SEAT_PREFERENCE=Float set ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS=Viewer set ESRI_LICENSE_HOST=<name of ArcGIS License Manager> set path=<path> (example:C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.7\bin) ArcMap.exe
- Save the file as a .bat file.
- Run the file to launch ArcMap with the preferred product and license level.
Note: Changing the seat class enables the use of a specific license level. For more information on seat classes and the license levels they represent, refer to ArcGIS Desktop: Installing ArcGIS Desktop silently.
Change the Product and License level via Windows Registry Editor
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
Edit the following registry keys according to the license level.
- Open the Registry Editor. Navigate to Start > Run, and type regedit. Click OK.
- Navigate to the license folder in the following path:
For 32-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\License10.x For 64-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\License10.x
- Right-click the SOFTWARE_CLASS string and click Modify.
- Change the value data according to the license level as per below:
- For Basic: Viewer
- For Standard: Editor
- For Advanced: Professional
- Right-click the SEAT_PREFERENCE string and click Modify.
- Change the value data according to the license type as written below:
- For Concurrent Use: Float
- For Single Use: Fixed
For more information, please refer to the Related Information links below.
- ArcGIS Desktop: Installing ArcGIS Desktop silently
- How To: Determine which ArcGIS Desktop seat is active
- HowTo: Limit a user
Last Published: 4/2/2020
Article ID: 000012046
Software: ArcMap 10.8, 10.7.1, 10.7, 10.6.1, 10.6, 10.5.1, 10.5, 10.4.1, 10.4, 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1, 10