How To: Change the location of log files that are created during the execution of geoprocessing tools
When running custom geoprocessing tools using ArcObjects .NET or Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), history log files and temporary files are created. Logging can affect the performance of the geoprocessing tool and the computer. In these instances, users may want to relocate the temporary files but Esri does not recommend this as Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following the instructions.
The instructions provided describe how to change the location of log files that are created during the execution of geoprocessing tools.
The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of the operating system. It is recommended to backup the operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary.
Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Click Start and select Run.
- In the Run dialog box, type 'regedit' to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY Current User (HKCU) > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
- Double-click the ‘AppData’ string.
- In the Edit String dialog box, change the path as desired.