Problem: Unable to register ArcGIS GeoEvent Processor for Server when using a self-signed certificate
Unable to register ArcGIS GeoEvent Processor for Server when using a self-signed certificate over a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection.
Note: This article pertains to ArcGIS versions 10.1 and 10.2. Later versions of ArcGIS may contain different functionality, as well as different names and locations for menus, commands and geoprocessing tools.
The registration fails when a self-signed certificate makes an untrusted connection to the browser while establishing the SSL connection.
Solution or Workaround
Add the self-signed certificate to the certificate authority (CA) to ensure a trusted connection to the browser.
- Stop ArcGIS GeoEvent Processor for Server service from the Services console. To do this, click Start, and in the search box, type services.msc to launch the console.
- Save a copy of the CA certificate to the folder: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEventProcessor\jre\lib\security
This certificate only works with .cer files.
- To open a Command Prompt window as an Administrator, click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
- Navigate to the above folder location, "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEventProcessor\jre\lib\security".
- Within the folder, paste the following command to import the self-signed certificate to the CA (cacerts) file:
"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEventProcessor\jre\bin\keytool" -import -trustcacerts -file esrica.cer -alias esri_ca -keystore cacerts
Note: In this example, the certificate is named esrica.cer. Users must replace this name with a unique name for the self-signed certificate. When prompted for a password, type changeit. For the Alias parameter, select any name; the alias is a unique name that easily identifies the certificate.
- When prompted to trust the certificate, click Yes.
- To implement the changes, restart ArcGIS GeoEvent Processor for Server from the Services console.
- ArcGIS Enterprise (latest): Managing Data Stores
- ArcGIS Help: What is the ArcGIS GeoEvent Processor extension?
- ArcGIS Help: Introduction to SSL