How To: Use ArcGIS Online to distribute ArcPad Packages and update within ArcPad 10.2
With the release of ArcPad 10.2, ArcPad package files uploaded to ArcGIS Online can now be downloaded to ArcPad, as well as edited and updated back to ArcGIS Online. These changes can be downloaded from ArcGIS Online back to ArcGIS for Desktop to check in updates.
To create the ArcPad package file in .ZIP format, select this option while using the Check Out Data tool for the ArcPad workflow.
- Using the ArcPad Data Manager toolbar in ArcMap, select the Get Data For ArcPad tool to begin the wizard.
- To edit the layers, select the option 'Check Out for disconnected editing in ArcPad.' Depending on if the layer's existing features need to be checked out, select either 'Data based on defined extent' or Schema Only. Select the appropriate checkout options for the background layers, as well.
- Run the Get Data For ArcPad wizard while selecting the appropriate options. Specify the folder name and location for the ArcPad project files to be stored.
It is recommended to select 'Validate feature classes before checking out' (this option is selected by default).
- On the last screen of the wizard, check the box next to 'Create .ZIP file containing the ArcPad data.'
- Click the 'Finish' button in the wizard. An 'Operation successful' pop-up displays shortly after.
- The next steps involve uploading the .ZIP file to ArcGIS Online.
To add the ArcPad package, log into ArcGIS Online via www.ArcGIS.com > select My Content > select Add Item.
- Select ArcPad Package in the Contents drop-down box, and give the package a title and tags.
- The ArcPad package is now listed in My Content. If necessary, check the box next to the ArcPad package item and share the item appropriately.
- To download the ArcPad package in ArcPad 10.2.x, click on the drop-down menu under Open Map > ArcPad Packages > Download ArcPad Project.
If the ArcPad Packages option is not available in ArcPad, the tool can be added manually to the Favorites toolbar via Toolbar Settings.
- In the Download Project window, select http://www.arcgis.com as the URL to access the My Contents folder from ArcGIS Online. Select the uploaded ArcPad project file, and click OK.
You need to be logged in to the ArcGIS Online account in ArcPad to access the My Content folder. For help logging in to ArcGIS Online within ArcPad, see the article, ArcPad Help: Server under Related Information.
- The data from the project can now be edited, or new data can be collected within ArcPad. After the map is saved, update the ArcPad project on ArcGIS Online. Select ArcPad Packages > Update ArcPad Project.
- The newly updated ArcPad project can now be downloaded from ArcGIS Online. When unzipped, the ArcPad project can either replace the existing project on the desktop or be saved as a new file.
- The data contained in the ArcPad Package can now be checked in using the ArcPad Data Manager toolbar in ArcMap.