Problem: Custom ArcGIS Online basemaps are not displaying in ArcGIS Viewer for Flex applications
When a custom basemap is added to the Viewer for Flex application with a different tiling schema, the basemaps cannot display on top of each other.
ArcGIS Online basemaps are tiled services with a defined tiling scheme and fixed levels of detail. If the custom basemap is a dynamic service, a conflict occurs that prevents the ArcGIS Online basemaps from displaying when the user selects a basemap.
Solution or Workaround
Using the same tiling scheme as the basemaps, publishing the custom basemap as a tiled service and adding the basemap to Viewer for Flex allows the different basemaps to coexist.
- Publish the service to the ArcGIS Server with caching enabled.
- For tiling scheme, select the ArcGIS Online/Bing Maps/Google Maps tiling scheme.
- Add the tiled service to the application as a basemap.
- ArcGIS Server Documentation - Creating a Map Cache
- Tutorial - Creating a cached map service
- ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Documentation - Maps tab