How To: Modify/remove ArcPad registration code from a Windows Mobile device
Instruction provided describe the steps to use a third-party utility to remove the ArcPad registration code from a Mobile PC via the Windows Mobile Registry Editor type utility.
Esri does not recommend any one utility over another; users should research different utilities for required functionality and understand the instructions of the processes. Esri makes no expressed or implied warranty of any kind and assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions, loss of data or software, or loss of mobile device functionality. No liability is assumed for any damages. Users should be familiar with modifying registry editor settings. Always have a verified backup before making any changes.
To prevent accidental data loss, back up the Registry before making any changes. Two backup programs that can be used with Windows Mobile are Sprite Backup and SPB Backup.
To avoid losing data on the phone, only change Registry values that are part of published Windows Mobile tweaks or those recommended by the hardware or software manufacturer.
Accidentally deleting the wrong files from the Windows Mobile Registry may cause the loss of personal information stored on the phone. A hard reset, which returns the phone to factory-original condition, may be necessary.
Follow the steps below to remove or modify the registration code for ArcPad on the Window Mobile Operating System device.
- Connect the mobile device to a desktop computer using either Microsoft Active Sync (Windows XP) or Windows Mobile Device Center (Windows 7 and higher).
- Install the Mobile Registry Editor utility and select Open > Run.
- Navigate to the following Registry location:
- Right-click the SerialNumber key to display the context menu.
- Select New > String Value from the context menu options.
- Fill in the New String dialog by entering 'SerialNumber' in the Value Name field.
- To remove the current registration code, leave the Value Data field blank. To modify the registration code, enter the updated value in the Value Data field. Click OK.
- If the registration code was removed, the SerialNumber key no longer displays an ArcPad registration code.
- Re-open ArcPad on the mobile device and the ArcPad Registration screen is displayed. To work in Evaluation Mode without registering, click the red X icon to cancel registration.
- To confirm Evaluation mode, select the About/Help icon, select About ArcPad. This displays the About ArcPad window indicating an Evaluation setting.