Error: Spatial reference must be a projected coordinate system" when using the Load a Topology to a Parcel Fabric tool
Spatial reference must be a projected coordinate system.
Spatial Reference error for Load a Topology to a Parcel Fabric tool.
The Load a Topology to a Parcel Fabric tool only allows the user to load data existing in a Projected Coordinate System (PCS). However, the input topology data uses a Geographic Coordinate System (GCS), such as NAD83.
This is a known limit. The Parcel Fabric can be in a GCS, but the data participating in the topology must be in a PCS using the same GCS. For example:
Solution or Workaround
The data participating in the topology must be projected. Instructions provided below describe the process.
- Select a PCS that matches the Parcel Fabric's GCS. If the Parcel Fabric is stored with a PCS, make sure the selection is exactly the same.
- Create a new Feature Dataset using the selected PCS. Right-click the geodatabase, and navigate to New > Feature Dataset. Give the dataset a unique name, and use the selected PCS.
- Delete the topology from the original Feature Dataset. This must be done in order to run the Project tool. Make a copy of the user's data if the topology is still needed for other work.
- Use the Project tool to transform the original topology data into the PCS. Set the output to the new Feature Dataset, and give the output Feature Class a unique name. Apply any transformations needed between the coordinate systems.
- Rebuild the topology in the new Feature Dataset using the same rules.
- Validate the topology and fix any errors.
- Run the Load a Topology to a Parcel Fabric tool. This allows the user to have the correct format to run this tool.