Error: Some contents of the application from the following website will be blocked because of enhanced security configuration in Internet Explorer
When ArcMap is launched, the following error is returned:
“Some contents of the application from the following website will be blocked because of enhanced security configuration of Internet Explorer About: security_ArcMap.exe”.
This error is returned because ActiveX controls are blocked by the security settings in Internet Explorer. This error can also occur at the beginning of the ArcGIS installation process.
ArcGIS Desktop 10 makes use of ActiveX controls to render its graphical user interface (GUI). If ActiveX controls are blocked, ArcMap does not function correctly or does not run at all.
ActiveX controls and web browser add-ons are small programs that are used widely on the internet. However, these programs can pose risks to some users. In some cases, ActiveX can be a pathway for threats to enter a system from outside sources. It potentially exposes the user to malicious codes because an ActiveX library is sent from a web server to the user's machine. Hence, ActiveX controls do not run if Microsoft Internet Explorer is configured to block them.
Solution or Workaround
The instructions provided describe how to change the Internet Explorer security settings to enable ActiveX controls.
- In Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu, and click Internet options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Security tab.
- Click the Internet icon, and set the Security level for this zone to Medium-high.
- At the bottom of the Security level for this zone'box, click Custom level.
- Under ActiveX controls and plug-ins, click the Enable radio button.
- Click OK, and click Yes.
- Click OK to save the settings.
Note: If ArcMap is running when these changes are being made in Internet Explorer, close ArcMap and reopen it.
Note: If the website gives a prompt to install or run the ActiveX control, click the gold Information bar that appears on the top of the webpage and follow the prompts.
- Wiki.GIS – ArcGIS Desktop Support
- Windows Support – Adjust Internet Explorer ActiveX settings
- Windows Support- Why does Internet Explorer block some ActiveX controls?