How To: Create a report based on an imported XML file in IBM Cognos
When using Esri Maps for IBM Cognos, often times users export their report to an XML document. This is useful because it allows others to generate the same report with little effort. A report XML file can be easily sent and imported into IBM Cognos Report Designer.
The following procedure describes the steps for exporting a Cognos report XML file and importing it into a new report.
- To get the XML file for a given report, open the report in question via Report Studio.
Launch report that is to be exported to XML using IBM Cognos Report Studio.
- In Report Studio, click the Tools menu and select 'Show Specification'.
- With the report specification XML window open, click the Copy button on the bottom left of the window. The copied XML file can then be pasted into any text editor such as Word, Notepad, or Notepad++.
- Open the copied XML file and select all. Copy the selected XML to the clipboard. In the IBM Cognos Connection window, click the Launch drop-down and select Report Studio to open a new report.
- There is a prompt to select a 'Recently Used Package'. Pick any package, as it does not matter since the package is to be defined by the imported XML file.
- On the following dialog box, choose Close when prompted to open an existing report or create a new one.
- Navigate to the Tools menu and from the drop-down select Open Report from Clipboard. This imports the XML file that was copied in step 4. The report can then be created based on the XML specifications.