Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
The instructions provided describe how to export the footprints and boundary from a mosaic dataset in different processing contexts for ArcMap and ArcCatalog. The Copy Features tool can be used to export the footprints and boundary of a mosaic dataset as polygon feature classes.
1. In ArcMap, open an MXD that contains the mosaic dataset.
2. In the Table of Contents, expand the entry for the mosaic dataset.
3. For the Footprint, right-click the Footprint entry and select Data > Export Data. The Copy Features dialog box opens.
4. Specify the output location in the dialog and run the tool.
5. For the Boundary, right-click the Boundary entry and select Data > Export Data.
6. Specify the output location and run the tool.
In ArcCatalog, a mosaic dataset is not a valid data type for the Input Features field in the Copy Features tool. Therefore, follow the instructions below to export footprints and boundary:
To do this in ArcCatalog, if not using a model, users can use a Python window to run the script.
arcpy.MakeMosaicLayer_management ('MD', 'MD_Lyr')
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management (r'MD_Lyr\Footprint', r'c:\test\FGDB.gdb\Footprint')
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management (r'MD_Lyr\Boundary', r'c:\test\FGDB.gdb\Boundary')