Problem: Tools open with blank dialog windows
Under some circumstances, geoprocessing tools and toolbars open with blank dialog windows. The buttons (OK, Cancel, Environments, etc.) still function properly. There may also be a working scroll bar in the portion of the dialog where input and output parameters are entered, but fields or settings are not visible.
The registry key that references the vbscript.dll and other .dlls necessary for tool function are overwritten by McAfee antivirus software. When McAfee antivirus software is uninstalled, the registry keys are not restored to the native format. This issue may also appear with Avast antivirus software. To confirm this is the cause, follow these steps:
1. Open the Start menu.
2. Type 'regedit' in the Search field and hit Enter.
3. Check the registry keys below and see if they match.
Verify that in the window on the right there is a value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a 'Data' of VB Script Language.
Verify that in the window on the right there is a value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a 'Data' of C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll.
Verify that in the window on the right there is a value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a 'Data' of C:\Windows\system32\scrrun.dll.
Windows Registry Editor
4. If any of these keys do not match, try the solution described below.
Solution or Workaround
If McAfee is currently installed and must remain in use, contact McAfee for assistance. If McAfee is installed but not required on the computer, then uninstall it before proceeding with the solution below. After McAfee antivirus software is uninstalled, follow the steps below to resolve the issue.
- Download the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool (MCPR) and refer to the instructions: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR).
- Navigate to the directory where the MCPR file was saved.
- Right-click MCPR.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'.
- Follow the prompts.
- When the message is received 'CleanUp Successful', restart the computer.