How To: Read an extents list file and create a polygon feature class with PerfQAnalyzer
The PerfQAnalyzer is a free, non-supported tool offered to the Esri user community that can be used to assist users in calibrating ArcGIS performance. Instructions provided describe how to read an extents list file and create a polygon feature class based on a extents list file in the Extents tab of the PerfQAnalyzer tool. The PerfQAnalyzer tool can run as an ArcMap add-in or as a standalone application.
The output map extents can also be used for operating functionality within the PerfQAnalyzer tool, such as collecting, editing and rendering performance test metrics.
Note: To collect performance metrics of ArcGIS rendering and editing, see the Related Information section for more details.
The latest version of PerfQAnalyzer, 10.7 (Build 173), is compatible with the earlier released versions of ArcGIS, 10.2 through 10.6.1. The tool may be downloaded from the following page:
The Read an extents list file option in the PerfQAnalyzer tool reads an existing .csv or .txt file that contains a list of x,y coordinate map extents. Once this extents file is loaded, a polygon feature class can be created that contains rectangles with the same vertices as the extents.
- Open an existing ArcGIS map document (.mxd) containing the layers to be used to generate random map extents.
- If necessary, click the Pin Tabs button located in the upper right corner of the PerfQAnalyzer tool to open the tool options.
- Click the Extents tab.
- Select the option Read an extents list file from the pull-down list.
- In the Extent File section, click the browse button to select a list file that exists on disk.
- Click the Read Extents button.
- The extents are drawn on top of the map screen. By default, the map extents are labeled. Labeling properties can be modified using the Display option. Click the plus sign next to Display Settings to display the properties.
- Modify the label properties as appropriate and click the refresh button to update labels.
- Select the option Create a polygon feature class from the pull-down list.
- Specify the location of the geodatabase.
Note: The default location of the geodatabase is C:\PerfQAnalyzer\MapExtent.gdb. If this geodatabase does not already exist, the PerfQAnalyzer tool creates the geodatabase automatically when the Save As Polygon Feature Class button is clicked.
- Specify the name of the feature class.
- Click the plus sign next to the Feature Classes section to expand the options.
- Within the Feature Classes option, click the Get Feature Classes button.
- Select the appropriate feature class to be used as a spatial reference template for the polygon extent feature class.
- Click the Preview Random Extents button located at the bottom of the PerfQAnalyzer pop-up window.
- If the map's extents do not meet expectations and it is necessary to manually move the extents, click the Pointer tool above the map window and click an extent to manually move or resize it.
- Click the Save button in the Extent File section of the PerfQAnalyzer tool to save the polygon feature class.
- HowTo: Calibrate ArcGIS performance: Time rendering
- HowTo: Calibrate ArcGIS performance: Create editing scripts and capture edit times
- ArcGIS Blog: PerfQAnalyzer: New 10.7/10.7.x Version (Build 173) Available for Download