Error: Failed to connect to database. Bad login user. Success when creating a geodatabase using ArcSDE workgroup license
The following error message may occur when trying to connect to a newly created geodatabase:
"Failed to connect to database. Bad login user. Success when creating a geodatabase using ArcSDE workgroup license."
The ArcSDE workgroup license is not written to the Windows Registry causing the geodatabase to be dropped as soon as it is created.
Solution or Workaround
Manually update the ArcSDE Workgroup license in the Windows Registry using the follow steps:
- Download the ArcSDE for Workgroup ECP file from the Customer Care portal using the ArcGIS for Server ECP (authorization) number.
- Open the ECP file using a text editor, such as NotePad, and copy only the authorization number for ArcSDE for SQL Server Workgroup.
- Open the Windows Registry. Click Start > Run and type 'regedit' (without quotes), and click OK. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MSSQL$<SQL Express Instance>.
- Right-click the MSSQL$<SQL Express Instance>. Click New > String Value and type 'ArcSDE_License' (without quotes) for the Name.
- Right-click the newly created ArcSDE_License and select Modify. In the the Value data (right pane) of the Registry Editor window, paste the value copied from the ECP file.
• Example of updated registry key:
- Launch ArcCatalog > Connect to the database server and create the geodatabase.