Error: Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor
Upon startup of the Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS, a generic error message is returned:
Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor.
The two most common reasons for this error message are that the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is not installed, or there is a version of the Operations Dashboard already installed on the computer.
Solution or Workaround
Warning: The instructions below include changes to antivirus protection. Disabling antivirus software may leave the computer vulnerable to viruses and other security threats. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional if necessary before following these instructions. Esri cannot guarantee computer security while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
There are three procedures to this solution:
- Verify and install the correct version of the Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Verify that the antivirus software is not interfering with the installation of Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS. Disable the antivirus software for the duration of the installation process.
- Verify that no previous versions of Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS are installed on the system.
The system requirements for the Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS specify that Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 must be installed. If it is not installed, the error message is generated.
- Verify that .NET 4.5 is installed by opening the list of installed programs from the Control Panel.
- If needed, download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
Note: An enhancement request for this application has been made for the error message to indicate if the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is not installed.
If the Operations Dashboard is already installed or a previous version of the Operations Dashboard is detected on the computer, the error message is generated.
- Open the installed programs list in the Control Panel and uninstall any previous versions of the Operations Dashboard listed.
- Reinstall the software when complete.
If this issue is machine-specific, examine the .txt file generated when clicking on Details. If the following error is in the .txt file:
The application binding data format is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B2)
Perform the following workflow:
- Close all Operations Dashboard installation windows.
- Hold the Windows key and press R to open the Run window (bottom left).
- Type the following:
- Click OK.
- Delete folder named 2.0.
Note: If an access denied or other permission error is seen, reboot the computer and try to delete again.
- Retry installation with the installer.