Error: Unable to read polygon from shapefile. Invalid data."
When adding a zipped shapefile to Business Analyst Online or Community Analyst Online using the Import File option in the Select Location tab, the following error may occur: "Unable to read polygons from shapefile. Invalid data."
Error message "Unable to read polygons from shapefile. Invalid Data"
The shapefile is saved with a WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere projection. This projection is a known limit of the application and therefore cannot be used.
Solution or Workaround
The shapefile must be re-projected to a different coordinate system such as WGS_1984, NAD_1983, or a State Plane coordinate system.
- Open ArcMap or ArcCatalog.
- Open ArcToolbox and navigate to Data Management Tools > Projections and Transformations > Feature.
- Double-click on the Project tool. Additional tool help can be found in the Related Information links at the end of this article.
- Fill out the fields in the Project tool's dialog and switch the projection to a different coordinate system such as WGS_1984, NAD_1983, or a State Plane coordinate system.
- Click OK to run the tool. A new shapefile is made.
- Zip up the new shapefile and reload it into Business Analyst Online or Community Analyst Online.