FAQ: Can a version 10 file or personal geodatabase be converted to a previous version geodatabase?
Can a version 10 file or personal geodatabase be converted to a previous version geodatabase?
A version 10 geodatabase cannot be converted to a version 9.3, or earlier, database. However, a version 9.3 or 9.2 geodatabase can be created in ArcGIS for Desktop with the Create File GDB or Create Personal GDB geoprocessing tool.
Create a previous version geodatabase
The instructions provided below describe how to create a version 9.3 or 9.2 geodatabase in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.
2. In the Create File GDB dialog box, specify location and name for the new geodatabase.
3. In the geodatabase version drop-down menu, select the file version for the new geodatabase.
4. Click OK.
Export/Import data between geodatabases
The instructions provided below describe how to export and import data between geodatabases using ArcInfo or ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced.
2. Select Export > XML Workspace Document.
Fully expand the geodatabase to be exported if the XML Workspace Document option is not activated.
3. In the Export XML Workspace Document wizard, prepare the data for export and click Finish on the last page. The output is an XML file.
4. Right-click the 9.x geodatabase and select Import > XML Workspace Document.
5. In the Import XML Workspace Document wizard, browse to the location of the XML file created at step 3 and select the XML file. Click Next.
6. Complete the import process by clicking Finish. The data is imported into the version 9.x geodatabase.
- ArcGIS Desktop Help 10.0: Saving a map
- Share data from more recent versions of the Geodatabase with older versions of ArcGIS Desktop
- How can previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop connect to geodatabases created with newer releases?
- Sharing data and documents across the various versions of ArcGIS Desktop
- ArcGIS Desktop Help 10.0: Geodatabase XML