Bug: ArcGIS 10.1 SOE templates (both REST and SOAP) cannot be compiled in Visual Studio 2010
When compiling a REST or SOAP SOE template from Visual Studio 2010 on a machine where ArcObjects SDK 10.1 is installed but ArcGIS Server is not installed, the following error is returned:
"Could not load file or assembly 'ESRI.ArcGIS.SOESupport, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fc3cc631e44ad86' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
This issue happens because the ESRI.ArcGIS.SOESupport assembly is not registered in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC).
This issue can be resolved by manually registering the ESRI.ArcGIS.SOESupport assembly in the GAC using the Global Assembly Cache Tool (Gacutil.exe).
- Ensure the 'ESRI.ArcGIS.SOESupport.dll' file exists in the <ArcGIS DeveloperKit install location>\bin directory.
- Go to Start > All Programs > Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 > Visual Studio Tools.
- Right-click Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) and select Run as administrator.
- In the Visual Studio Command Prompt, type the following command:
gacutil /i "<ArcGIS DeveloperKit install location>\bin\ESRI.ArcGIS.SOESupport.dll"
- Reopen the SOE project in Visual Studio 2010.
- Go to Build > Clean Solution > Build Solution. The solution builds successfully.