How To: Fix broken Business Analyst reference layers after updating to 2011 data
The 2011/2016 Esri Data update for Business Analyst Desktop also includes new street map and reference data. The reference data for Business Analyst has been moved into a different folder and given new names. Because of this, the data sources appear to be broken in the Table of Contents of existing map documents (MXDs).
To fix the broken links in the Table of Contents to source from the new Business Analyst reference data, the data source must be repaired. This can be done manually by navigating to C:\Program Files - or Program Files(x86) - \ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Business Analyst\US\Data\StreetMap and finding the similar dataset and name of the feature class. This can be confusing since some of the names have changed.
Alternatively, the Business Analyst team has included an update tool to help repair existing maps to reference the new 2011 data. Follow these steps to access the tool.
The process can be lengthy depending on the number of MXDs in the folder.
- Open ArcCatalog and make a connection to the C: drive.
Connect to Folder
- Navigate to the following folder: C:\Program Files - or Program Files(x86) - \ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Business Analyst\US\Datasets\UpdateMXDs
Update MXDs tool location
- Click the UpdateMXDs.tbx to expand the toolbox.
- Double-click the UpdateMXDs tool to launch it.
- The tool asks for a folder that has the old MXDs in it. Set the path to the directory where the MXDs are located and click OK.
Do NOT set the path to the actual MXDs, but rather the directory they are in. The MXDs are not seen in the dialog.