Bug: When signed into ArcGIS Online from the File menu, the ability to search from the ArcGIS Online window is lost
When signed into ArcGIS Online using ArcMap (File > ArcGIS Online), no search results are returned in the ArcGIS Online window. In addition, it is not indicated that the user is logged in to ArcGIS Online.
This behavior is related to the security settings configured in the ArcGIS.com Organization Settings. If the 'Allow access to the organization through SSL only' box is checked, only users accessing ArcGIS Online layers using SSL are able to search using the ArcGIS Online window in ArcMap. This setting can be found at www.arcgis.com; My Organization > Edit Settings > Security.
Either procedure listed below enables the ArcGIS Online search function.
Add 'https://www.arcgis.com/' to the ArcGIS Portal Connection in ArcMap. This allows access to ArcGIS Online through SSL.
2. Click 'Manage Portal Connections' in the lower right corner of the ArcGIS Online Sign In dialog box.
3. Click Add.
4. Type https://www.arcgis.com/ in the Add ArcGIS Portal dialog box. Click OK.
5. Highlight the https://www.arcgis.com/ url in the Manage ArcGIS Portal Connections dialog box and click the Connect button.
6. Proceed to sign in to ArcGIS Online, and perform a search in the ArcGIS Online window.
If the organizational requirements allow it, uncheck the 'Allow access to the organization through SSL only' checkbox in arcgis.com: Edit Settings (organization settings) > Security.
Note: This can only be performed by an Organization Administrator.
2. Click the 'Sign In' link near the top of the page, and enter the Esri Global Account username and password. Click Sign In.
3. Click 'My Organization' at the top of the Web page.
4. Click Edit Settings.
5. Click the Security link located on the left side of the Web page.
6. Uncheck 'Allow access to the organization through SSL only.'
7. Click OK in the Notice window, and sign out of ArcGIS.com, if desired.
8. Open ArcMap, sign in to ArcGIS Online, and perform a search in the ArcGIS Online window.