FAQ: Why doesn't the layer name change after renaming a feature class in the geodatabase?
Why doesn't the layer name change after renaming a feature class in the geodatabase?
The reason a layer name does not change after renaming a feature class is because the layer name is only changed when the feature class is changed and the layer alias is modified. As a result, the layer alias must also be changed to the new name of the feature class for the layer to be displayed with the new feature class name.
1. Create a feature class (NAME1) from an sde export file by using the command:
sdeimport -o create
2. In ArcCatalog, register NAME1 with the geodatabase.
3. In ArcCatalog, rename NAME1 to NAME2.
4. Add NAME2 as a layer in ArcMap. (Note that the layer still displays as NAME1.)
5. To correct this, change the layer alias to NAME2 to match the feature class.