How To: Customize address locators to display additional/user fields while finding locations
Instructions provided describe how to display additional/user fields while finding locations using an address locator in ArcGIS Desktop 10, Service Pack 3.
When an address locator is created in the base product installation (no service packs applied) with additional fields mentioned, these additional fields are automatically displayed as 'User_fld' in the 'Find' dialog box.
However in Service Pack 3, specific steps must be followed to customize the address locator and display the 'User_fld'.
To display additional/user fields while finding locations using an address locator in ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP3, it is simply a matter of editing a local xml file: USAddress.lot.xml.
- Download and install Notepad ++.
- Navigate to the Locators folder.
• On 32-bit systems: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Locators
• On 64-bit machines: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Locators.
- Copy the file USAddress.lot.xml to the Windows Desktop and open it in Notepad++.
- Go to the the following line (in Notepad++, use Search > Find):
<mapping_schema name="SingleAddressSearch" base="SingleAddressPolygonCentroid" geom_type="point">
Scroll down to the outputs section.
If using an SP3 locator, this is line 24947.
- Copy and Paste (insert) the following line at line 29497:
<output ref="User_fld" type="string" length="120" selector="WriteAdditionalOutputFields" />
- Go to the following line:
<prop name="WriteAdditionalOutputFields" type="Boolean">false</prop>
In SP3 this is line 28457.
- Change this parameter from 'false' to 'true'.
- Save the file and copy it back to the Locators folder.
- Click the Find tool. Select the Locations tab and choose an online/custom locator. Search for a location and the results now show the User_fld field.