Error: Unable to open map document; map document has an unknown coordinate system
When opening a project in ArcLogistics Desktop, the following error message occurs:
"Unable to open map document; map document has an unknown coordinate system."
The .mxd file for the project has become corrupt.
Solution or Workaround
The project .mxd file can be replaced with an .mxd from a project that is working. The workflow below provides steps to replace the corrupted .mxd file with a working one. This allows the project to be opened.
- Navigate to one of the following folders, depending on the operating system used.
• Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESRI\ArcLogistics\Projects
• Windows 7 - C:\Program Data\Esri\ArcLogistics\Projects
- Locate the project files prompting the error message (<projectname> .gdb, .xml, .mxd).
- Rename the problem .mxd to '<projectname>_old.mxd'.
- Locate another .mxd in the Projects folder that opens without error.
A new blank project can be made if no other projects are present in the Projects folder.
- Copy and paste the .mxd file that works into the same Projects folder.
- Rename the copied project from '<Copy of WorkingProject>.mxd' to '<projectname>.mxd'.