How To: Count the vertices for line or polygon features in ArcMap
Instructions provided describe how to populate a new field with the number of vertices for each feature in a polygon or line feature class.
Note: The procedure below is for ArcGIS 10 and later versions. Please see the article in the Related Information section below for instructions for ArcGIS versions 9.3.1 and earlier.
- Right-click the layer to be evaluated in the Table of Contents and click Open Attribute Table.
- From the Table Options drop-down, click Add Field to add a new field to the table.
- Name the field VxCount and select Long Integer for the field type. Click OK.
- Right-click the heading of the new field and click Field Calculator.
Note: The geoprocessing tool, Calculate Field, can also be used to populate the field.
- Under Parser, select Python.
- In the main expression box, set:
VxCount = !shape!.pointcount
- Click OK.
Last Published: 11/9/2020
Article ID: 000011230
Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 10 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 10 ArcGIS-ArcView 10 ArcMap 10.8.1, 10.8, 10.7.1, 10.7, 10.6.1, 10.6, 10.5.1, 10.5, 10.4.1, 10.4, 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1, 10