Problem: Features from a feature class disappear when zooming or panning in layout view
Features from a feature class disappear when zooming or panning in the layout view.
The spatial index of the feature class is corrupt.
Solution or Workaround
The spatial index must be rebuilt.
Warning: Before attempting any of these steps, make sure a backup copy of the feature class has been made.
Note: Spatial indexes cannot be rebuilt for personal geodatabase feature classes.
- Open ArcCatalog.
- Navigate to the affected feature class.
- Right-click the feature class and click Properties.
- In the Feature Class Properties dialog box, click the Indexes tab. Find the section that says Spatial Index.
- Press Delete in the Spatial Index section.
- Press Apply to commit the change.
- Click Recalculate in the Spatial Index section.
- Press OK or Apply to commit the change. The features now stay in view when panning or zooming around the map.
- Shapefile features disappear when zooming or panning in ArcMap
- A quick tour of setting a spatial index.
- An overview of the Indexes toolset