Error: Start editing encountered one or more layers with errors or warnings and cannot continue. Incorrect edit version type
The following error or warning is received when starting an edit session in ArcMap:
"Start editing encountered one or more layers with errors or warnings and cannot continue. Incorrect edit version type."
Previous versions displayed different wording within the error message:
"Could not edit any of the map's layers. All data sources in the map are registered as versioned or you lack privileges to modify data sources which are not registered as versioned."
There are several causes for this error:
• Starting a non-versioned editing session if there are layers within the map document that are registered as versioned.
• Starting an edit session when there is a mixture of versioned and non-versioned data in the feature dataset.
• The dataset participates in advanced geodatabase functionality (such as a topology/geometric network). The dataset must be registered as versioned to start an edit session within an enterprise geodatabase.
Solution or Workaround
Determine the method of editing to be performed and make changes to the data or the editing options accordingly.
- Edit with nonversioned editing
a. Ensure that the data is not registered as versioned and that the Editing Options > Versioning tab has the following option unchecked: 'Edit a version of the database with the ability to undo and redo'
b. Ensure that the data that is nonversioned is simple data.
Only nonversioned simple data —points, lines, polygons, annotation, and relationships can be edited. Feature classes in a topology, network datasets, or geometric networks cannot be edited. See 'A quick tour of working with nonversioned data' in the Related Information section of this article.
- To edit using versioned editing:
Ensure that the data is registered as versioned and that the Editing Options > Versioning Options tab has the following option checked: 'Edit a version of the database with the ability to undo and redo'
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000011112