How To: Download data from ArcGIS.com directly without automatically opening in ArcMap
Instructions provided describe how to download data from ArcGIS.com directly without automatically opening in ArcMap.
Instructions apply only for layer packages.
Use this procedure to find the direct URL to download data from ArcGIS.com without automatically unpacking and loading into an ArcGIS Desktop application, like ArcMap. This is beneficial for diagnosing download issues with ArcGIS.com or for sharing data with others.
- Browse to the desired data or layer package Web page on ArcGIS.com and click Open.
- Click Save in the File Download dialog box for 'item.pkinfo' when prompted.
- In the Save As dialog box, select a location for the item.pkinfo file and click Save.
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run. In the Run dialog box, type notepad and click OK.
- In Notepad, navigate to File > Open and browse to the location of the item.pkinfo file.
- In the Open dialog box, click the 'Files of type' drop-down list and select 'All Files'. Select item.pkinfo and click Open.
- Note the URL within the <packagelocation> tag; this is the direct download URL that can be copied and pasted into a Web browser to download the data.