Error: Failed to open the project. Error opening mobile cache
When using Mobile Project Center to create a mobile project with Mobile Cache, the mobile project could not be opened with ArcGIS Mobile with the following error:
"Error - Failed to open the project. Error opening mobile cache".
The Windows Mobile Package file (.wmpk) created with Mobile Project Center does not contain a mobile cache.
Solution or Workaround
Copy the contents of the existing MobileCache folder to the installed mobile project folder (MobileProject\MobileCache).
- Open ArcGIS Mobile > Application Settings. Use this location to add additional folders for storing mobile projects on the Desktop.
For example, on Windows 2008 Server the default project folder is:
- Create a mobile cache using the 'Generate Mobile Map' geoprocessing tool, and save the MobileCache folder to a location on disk.
Create a mobile project ('test.wmpk', for example) with Mobile Project Center.
- Double-click the .wmpk file to open the ArcGIS Mobile project.
ArcGIS Mobile asks which project folder to install the project to.
- When opening the project, the error reads: "Failed to open the project. Error opening mobile cache". Click OK to close ArcGIS Mobile.
- In Windows Explorer, open the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGIS Mobile folder (or any folder specified in step 3); there is a new folder "P_test" created.
Open this folder and there is an empty folder called "MobileCache". Copy the content from the existing MobileCache folder (see Step 2) to this folder.
- These files can also be copied to a mobile device. The default project folder is:
\My Documents\ArcGIS Mobile
- Use ArcGIS Mobile to open the project again. The mobile cache is now available to the project.